Freight train derails in the Bronx

Freight train derails in the Bronx

Posted: Updated:
NEW YORK (MYFOXNY) -

Regular service on the Hudson line of Metro-North remains suspended in both directions through the weekend after several cars of a freight train derailed in the Bronx Thursday evening.

"With three days, we believe Metro-North forces will be able to clear the wreck, rebuild the infrastructure and test all systems in time to provide regular train service come Monday morning," said Metro-North President Howard Permut. "Our crews have been working hard in very difficult conditions -- around the clock in blazing heat and humidity. They deserve high praise and gratitude."

The MTA urges commuters to either use the Harlem line or make alternate plans. Here are the service changes:

  • For southbound service: reduced train service will operate between Poughkeepsie and Yonkers stations only and connect with shuttle bus service to Van Cortlandt Park-242 Street for southbound No. 1 subway service. 
  • For northbound service between Yonkers and Poughkeepsie stations only: customers should take the S (shuttle) from Grand Central to Times Square for No. 1 subway service to Van Cortlandt Park-242 Street. Bus service will operate to Yonkers and connect with reduced train service to Poughkeepsie.

The freight train was hauling garbage out of New York City when 10 cars derailed as it was passing through the Spuyten Duyvil station of the Metro-North railroad.

Video from SkyFoxHD Thursday night showed a locomotive with the CSX logo stopped under the Henry Hudson Bridge with several emergency vehicles parked at the station.

All three crew members were unharmed.

The cause of the derailment is under investigation.

The MTA released video showing the derailed cars.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

  • Bronx NewsBronx NewsMore>>

  • Mayor: Overhauled Build it Back program works

    Mayor: Overhauled Build it Back program works

    Monday, October 20 2014 8:21 PM EDT2014-10-21 00:21:27 GMT
    A program to help city homeowners with Superstorm Sandy home-repair efforts has made progress following an overhaul, and is aiming to count up to 1,000 construction starts and 1,500 reimbursement checks by the end of the year, New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio said Monday. De Blasio said there have been 727 construction starts and 878 reimbursement checks through the Build it Back program so far this year.
    A program to help city homeowners with Superstorm Sandy home-repair efforts has made progress following an overhaul, and is aiming to count up to 1,000 construction starts and 1,500 reimbursement checks by the end of the year, New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio said Monday. De Blasio said there have been 727 construction starts and 878 reimbursement checks through the Build it Back program so far this year.
  • Taxi drivers reportedly migrating to Uber

    Taxi drivers reportedly migrating to Uber

    Monday, October 20 2014 7:40 AM EDT2014-10-20 11:40:16 GMT
    Uber, the app-based livery car service, may be to blame for what some are describing as a shortage of taxi cabs in New York City. More than 10 percent of the city's 50,000 cab drivers have reportedly left their yellow cabs behind in favor of an Uber vehicle, reports the NY Post. The drop in cab drivers has reportedly caused medallion prices to drop.
    Uber, the app-based livery car service, may be to blame for what some are describing as a shortage of taxi cabs in New York City. More than 10 percent of the city's 50,000 cab drivers have reportedly left their yellow cabs behind in favor of an Uber vehicle, reports the NY Post. The drop in cab drivers has reportedly caused medallion prices to drop.
  • Homeless woman's belongings cost NYC $200G

    Homeless woman's belongings cost NYC $200G

    Monday, October 20 2014 6:24 AM EDT2014-10-20 10:24:24 GMT
    New York City NewsNew York City News
    Court papers show that New York City taxpayers have paid $200,000 to store the belongings of a homeless woman since 2006. The city reportedly picked up the tab after Andrea Logan lost her Manhattan apartment after a debilitating stroke. The city is required by state law to cover homeless people's storage expenses.
    Court papers show that New York City taxpayers have paid $200,000 to store the belongings of a homeless woman since 2006. The city reportedly picked up the tab after Andrea Logan lost her Manhattan apartment after a debilitating stroke. The city is required by state law to cover homeless people's storage expenses.
Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices